Sunday 29 July 2012

London 2012 - Loving it

As anyone who knows me will tell you, I'm not a very sporty person. I never have been.  I hated PE at school and would do anything to get out of doing the cross country running!! I always went to dancing class throughout my childhood and teenage years and that was enough for me.  As I've got older, I still love to dance and enjoy going to the gym (or I used to when I could afford it!!) and swimming but I'm still not a sporty kind of a girl.

However, I do enjoy watching certain sports.  Not your usual football or rugby (which I really just can't get into) but things like tennis, swimming, athletics, ice skating and in particular gymnastics.  I became a fan of this at a very young age and it's something I wish I'd pursued as a kid.  I read books about all the famous gymnasts of yesteryear such as Olga Korbut and Nadia Comaneci and learned the names of the moves and the scoring systems etc.  As an adult, I still love to watch and have had some very enjoyable times watching superb gymnasts over the years.  My ultimate favourites had to be the 'dream team' from the USA who performed at the Olympics in Atlanta in 1996.  They, to me, epitomised the sport and to this day remain a benchmark to which all other gymnasts should aim to reach.  Indeed, I can remember videoing (yes videoing) their performances, particularly the gala, and watching them over and over again.

When it was announced that London would be hosting the 2012 games, I was excited to think that I may get tickets to be able to watch the gymnastics but it was not to be.  However, I refuse to let that dampen my Olympic and gymnastic loving spirit.  I watched the wonderful opening ceremony with joy and pride in our nation and was entranced at everything that unfolded on my screen in glorious HD.  And I have spent most of today and yesterday ensconsed on my sofa taking pleasure in the athleticism, grace and flexibility that has been displayed by the male and female gymnasts during qualifying.

The Olympics gives us the opportunity to watch sports that we would never usually entertain and in between the gymnastics I have seen some archery, beach volleyball, boxing, badminton and rowing, to name but a few.  Fascinating.

Of course I'm 100% behind Team GB and think we could do really well in these games but regardless of that, I am looking forward to enjoying a couple of weeks of fantastic competition by inspiring and dedicated athletes in all sports.  And after that, I will return to my non-sport loving, usual self.  Until the winter when the ice skating returns that is :)

Enjoy the games and be proud of your country and your team.  Whoever they may be.  Good luck everyone.  Let the games begin!!!

Vicki

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment