Thursday 19 July 2012

Blacker Hall Farm Shop - The Jewel of Wakefield

This morning I have spent time in one of the little gems that Wakefield has to offer, Blacker Hall Farm Shop.  I love this place.  It brings a touch of class to a town that is sometimes lacking in that area and never fails to disappoint.  On this particular visit, my parents and I decided to try out the Blacker Hall Cream Tea in the cafe/restaurant known as The Barn, which at £3.50 sounded like a bit of a bargain.  And once again, they didn't let me down.  Three beautifully presented plates of fruit scone, individual pot of strawberry jam, pile of juicy, fresh strawberries and a huge scoop of luxurious clotted cream arrived on our table together with a tea, a coffee and a decaff coffee (mine - I only drink decaff - migraines!!) and we tucked in with gusto!!  Needless to say, mine didn't last long even though I attempted to savour every delicious mouthful.  £3.50 was definitely a perfectly reasonable price to pay for this wonderful treat.  Each time I visit the Barn, I am always delighted with the service, the quality of the food and the atmosphere which is relaxed and calm.  In fact, if I go for lunch with friends, we often spend a few hours just sitting, chatting, eating and drinking and generally having a great time.  Highly recommended

As for the farm shop, where do I start? The shop has recently been extended which is a huge improvement because, as the shop is so brilliant, it always gets busy and this extra space makes the world of difference.  As usual, I was spoilt for choice as everything looks fresh and delectable - from the butchery (where the butchers are always willing and happy to help you with your choices and offer cooking advice with a friendly smile) to the deli counter, filled with wonderful cheeses, amazing quiches, salads and my son's favourite, the famous Blacker Hall sausage roll - and everything in between.  There are several new lines since my last visit and I purchased, among other things, a yummy looking 'made in Yorkshire' pizza that I can't wait to try.  I really love the fact that the shop champions local produce, making much of what they sell themselves with the majority of the rest being sourced from local farmers, growers and small companies, making them all the more special. 

Please visit this wonderful shop and show your support to Edward, Cheryl and the rest of the Garthwaite family who, along with their employees, do an fantastic job of showing just what treasures Yorkshire has to offer.  And they do it with class and style, welcoming their customers with open arms into what must be fast becoming the best farm shop in the North of England.

Vicki

<3


No comments:

Post a Comment