Sunday 12 August 2012

London 2012 - Thank you and Goodnight

Well, that's it.  The final day of London 2012.  The closing ceremony is due to take place shortly and I couldn't be sadder.  Everyone knows how much I and the majority of the nation have got behind the Games, supporting, laughing with, crying with and cheering on Team GB every step of the way in so many events from the usual athletics and swimming to events in their infancy such as BMX and female boxing.  Every single athlete giving of their best and relishing in this - the culmination of years of effort, sacrifice, blood, sweat and tears.  Whether they have won a medal or not, whether they are from Great Britain or Mongolia, we should salute every single one of them for the excitement and pleasure they have given us over the past two weeks.  Great Britain has, for once, been united and so has the rest of the world, proving that, if we really make the effort, we can work together to achieve something really special.

The London 2012 Games could not have come at a better time for me.  From 3rd to 15th August last year, myself and my family went through something that no family ever should have to go through.  I cannot share the details of those dark days with you but I will say that that period, culminating in the death of my beloved and only brother on 15th August, were the worst days of my life.  The days that followed continued to be devastating and, indeed, the entire year has been so very difficult for all of us.  It remains so to this day.  We have tried, however, to keep my brother's memory alive in the best way we can and try and live our lives in the best way possible and in a way which honours him and that he would be proud of.  For me personally, this has included making the extra effort to complete my honours degree, to gain a place on the Graduate Teacher Programme, to look after and unconditionally support my parents and my sister in law and to try to be the best mother I can be to my son.

But, inevitably, on 3rd August and on each day since, it has been difficult not to think about last summer and the events that took place.  This is where London 2012 has been my saviour.  I never expected to find comfort in a sporting event.  As I've said before, I'm not sporty (although I wish I was) and I don't follow any sports really other than gymnastics and ice skating and, at previous Olympics, I have shown only minimal interest.  But this time, because of the added excitement of the Games taking place in my own country and because it was the first summer I had been on holiday long enough to watch it, I decided I would take an interest and watch the opening ceremony.  I sat there that night on 27th July and watched in wonder as marvellous scenes unfolded in front of my on my TV screen.  After that I decided that I would watch a few events and after that I was hooked.  I have watched most of the coverage on BBC1 (who, may I say, have completely redeemed themselves after their under-par coverage of the Diamond Jubilee) and many events on the red button service.  I have shouted at the screen for our athletes to run, swim or cycle faster, cried along with the medallists as they looked up at their flags with such pride and learned so much about sports I'd never even seen before.  And thank god I did.  Because of the passion I've felt for watching the Games and supporting our team, the pain of last year's memories has been made more manageable.  It hasn't gone away or been diminished in any way but seeing people achieve their dreams, not by marrying a footballer or going on Big Brother, but by working hard, showing strength of character and being disciplined and single minded, has made me remember that there is some good in the world and that people can come through adversity and difficult times to achieve wonderful things.  My brother would have absolutely loved these Games and I feel like he would have wanted me to love it just as much.  And I have.  I really have.  And it has helped me more than I can ever say.  It has been a positive distraction just when I needed one the most.  And I know my parents have felt the same way.  We are all sad to see it end and we know that we have difficult times still to come particularly in the week ahead.  However, London 2012 has brought some joy and light into our lives during a difficult time and we will be forever in its debt.

For me personally my highlights of the Games include the fact that women were included in the team of every country for the very first time, the inclusion of women's boxing with a good Yorkshire lass winning the first ever gold medal in the sport, Andy Murray gaining redemption for his Wimbledon defeat at the hands of Federer, Team GB smashing its Beijing medal haul, seeing the first paralympic athlete compete in the regular Games, watching Mo Farah, Jessica Ennis and the legend that is Usain Bolt provide us with such thrilling victories in the stadium and many many more. I will forever be sad that I couldn't be there in person to celebrate the thrill of the Games in person but I have witnessed these and many other great moments in the past two weeks from the comfort of my sofa.

So to sum up, I want to say thank you to everyone involved in this amazing spectacle - from the athletes, the volunteers, the commentators, the pundits and the public who have got behind the whole thing and showed why we are called Great Britain.  Thank you for providing the most wonderful of distractions and for making me proud to be British.

London 2012 - thank you and goodnight

Vicki

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment